Monday, January 26, 2009

Ideas to Action

What is the best way to drive ideas to action? How does one convert even one idea, not to success, but into a first step? In a lot of ways I find myself bogged down in ideas and concepts, that no matter how simple, seem unattainable without major buy in, which requires time and tunnel vision stubborn headedness. Or it requires major resources, as in the ability to pay for someone to help.

This is where design thinking is supposed to come in at its first step, to take a problem and turn it into a project. Part of that project step is being able to break the project into smaller more manageable steps.

While in a lot of ways I find this to be helpful, it fails to consider how to account for the distraction of other projects trying to get attention.

I read recently about how the Stanford University design program is beginning to focus on teaching its students how to decide on which projects are worth taking on. This is a great idea. I would be very interested in this process, and it may help to narrow my search as I look to convert my ideas into action.

No comments:

Post a Comment